Building Renewal and Renovation
Budget - $437,500. Current donations to date - $73,120. Thank you!
April 1 Update - Yeah, we have completed the tender process, received all approvals, and will be starting work at the beginning of May. Stay tuned at April 27/28 Masses for more details. :)
Dear faithful of Mary, Mother of the Church,
In 1979 with 130 registered families, Mary Mother of the Church was born out of St. Norbert Parish. In 1989 with 300 registered families, the present Church building was constructed. Today our community has grown to include nearly 2000 registered families. We know that with the continuing development of Waverley West, surrounding neighborhoods and our efforts of evangelization, the parish population will continue to grow for years to come.
Just as our residences and places of work experience wear and tear, the physical plant of Mary Mother has aged over the past 30 years:
- Carpets have become tattered, walls worn.
- We also are challenged with a facility that is becoming increasingly difficult to find space for programming and faith formation.
- Since 2011, 5 furnaces and air conditioners have been replaced at a cost of around $300 000.
- All 7 roofs have been replaced at a cost of around $300 000.
- The parish hall, kitchen, tables and washrooms were renovated and brought up to code in 2016.
- We have new and brighter parking lot lighting.
- The doors to the washrooms and rear entrance have been powered and made handicapped accessible.
All of these projects and others have been completed without borrowing or reaching into savings. Congratulations to our community!
The next phase will take place in the spring/summer of 2019. The parish desires to renew and repair the physical plant, while making some improvements to accommodate present and future needs of the community. Some of the main items will include:
- New flooring and paint
- Updated lighting and sound
- Fix outside entrance pavers (safety)
- Replace some windows
- Enhance storage space
- Renovate the library to become a Welcome and Resource Centre
- Convert 2 classrooms into 1 larger classroom
- Create a space for the statue of Mary in the church with vigil candles
- Change the tarnished brass church railing
- Replace baptismal fountain/punch bowl with a portable fountain
- Update the altar and ambo
With all renovations come costs. The total project budget is $437,500. MMOC is fortunate to have access to some savings, but will need to raise some additional funds as well.
We prayerfully request you spend some time with God in reflection of your faith journey, community and the future of MMOC. And then if possible, contribute whatever amount you feel led to help with.
Parish Building Renewal envelopes can be found in the pew shelves, or in the lobby brochure stand and at the welcome table at Weekend Masses. All money donated in these envelopes will go 100% towards this Building Renewal Project. And you will receive a tax receipt for any of these donations as well. Thank you parishioners for your efforts in this worth while endeavour. With this important innitiative, we will meet our present and future needs.
(Click here to see the related presentation given during Nov 17/18, 2018 Masses)