Life and Dignity of the Human Person We believe all human life is important. Age, skin colour, religion, it doesn’t matter—we all come from God, and we must treat everyone with dignity. We must work to protect the lives of others.
- Genesis 1:26-31: God created man and woman in his image.
- 1 John 3:1-2: See what love the Father has for us, that we should be called Children of God.
- Luke 10:25-37: The good Samaritan recognized the dignity in the other and cared for his life.
Call to Family, Community and Participation God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit work together as one in a holy relationship. Since we’re made in God’s image, we are meant to have relationships too. As Catholics, we like to help others and give back to our communities. We support married couples and families.
- Jeremiah 7:5-7: If you act justly with one another, God will dwell in the land.
- 1 Peter 4:8-11: Serve one another with the gifts you have received.
- 1 John 4:19-21: Those who love God must love their brothers and sisters.
Rights and Responsibilities We believe everyone should have access to human rights, including a right to life. We should work to care for the basic needs of ourselves and others, like getting food and shelter. We are called to help the poor and vulnerable when our needs are met.
- Jeremiah 22:13-16: A legitimate government upholds the rights of the poor and the vulnerable.
- Matthew 25:31-46: Just as you did it to the least of these, you did it to me.
- 2 Corinthians 9:6-15: God’s gifts are given to be shared.
Option for the Poor and Vulnerable As Christians, we are called to put the needs of the poor and vulnerable first.
- Luke 4:16-21: Jesus proclaims his mission: to bring good news to the poor and oppressed.
The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers We can help make the world a better place through our work. To do good work, workers must be treated with respect. We believe all workers should have rights, including a chance to do meaningful work and get fair pay.
- Mark 2:27: The Sabbath was made for people, not people for the Sabbath.
- Matthew 20:1-16: All workers should be paid a just and living wage.
- Luke 3:10-14: Practice integrity in your work.
Solidarity Everyone on earth is part of one family. We must support our global community and strive for peace. Peace isn’t just a lack of fighting—it’s having the right relationship with others. We’re called to act in ways that promote peace.
- Romans 13:8-10: Living rightly means to love one another.
- Colossians 3:9-17: Above all, clothe yourself with love and let the peace of Christ reign in your hearts.
Care for God’s Creation We show God respect by caring for His creation. We are called to protect our planet and the people on it.
- Genesis 2:15: Humans are commanded to care for God’s creation.
- Psalm 24:1-2: All the earth is the Lord’s.
- Daniel 3:56-82: Creation proclaims the glory of God.